Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Finally, a purpose for Walmart

Up until the past two weeks my girls were up for pretty much going anywhere and doing anything. Now all of a sudden they have decided against going out in public. They would rather stay in the comfort of their own home with the three people they know best. If I let this continue I'm convinced I'll raise them to be either a "gamer" who lives in our basement (which we don't have here in Houston) until they are 45, or to be antisocial well on their way to bad behavior.

Our first taste of their protest of the public was at an outdoor concert we go every Sunday in the spring. Madison loves it and I felt she really needed some time to do non baby related things. Well the babies had another agenda. They decided they would scream until we agreed to take them back to the comfort of their own home. So the next day, still trying to get Madison a dose of regular childhood, I decided to take her to the YMCA to do a Kids and Fitness class where pretty much the kids just run around and act their age. One again, a no go with the babies. This time it was particularly challenging because I was by myself. I tried to walk around with them...nothing. Feed them...nothing, and I know some of you haven't seen me for awhile but I still only have two arms. Holding both of them wasn't an option. So....then they came, the swarm of onlookers who apparently held degrees in diagnosing why other people's babies are crying. "Maybe they are hungry." "Oh do they want to go outside?" and my favorite was said to Peyton while I was holding Cameron..."Awww you just want held like your sister is being held." I agree. She should have held her. So after 25 minutes of trying to get them to settle down, I went and broke the news to Madison that once again, we were headed back to the baby haven. Her reply made me smile..."That's ok...I didn't like that class anyway." I thought the worst was over but I was completely wrong. Right when I got to my car the lady parked next to me was walking to hers as well. I told her to go ahead and get in first but she insisted she was in no hurry. So there I was, trying to pack up my stroller, two screaming 4 month olds, and a 5 year old crying because there was a bug in the car, while this lady continued to question why the girls were crying. Her final words to me were..."My son has twins." That is when it happened. A little unfiltered Lisa came out. I responded with..."You know you should probably go help him then. I guarantee you he needs it." That's the last I heard of her.

So with all this being said, my next decision wasn't IF I was going to take the girls out anymore, it was where do I take them to break them into society. I thought the library would be nice, no startling noises, but that could backfire quickly to two screaming babies making a huge scene. Then it hit me, the place that owed me a few sessions of my own kids screaming without regard to anybody elses sanity. Walmart. It worked like a charm. They both got a little upset from time to time, nobody noticed because their kids were busy knocking over cereal boxes, and my girls got a small dose of what real society is.

No comments:

Post a Comment